A varied and sometimes erratic record of what I'm learning inside and outside of the classroom

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

IDEA: Digital Literacy Meetup!

To my Digital Civilization classmates:

So I had an idea (I posted this on our class website discussion board too, by the way):


Since we're supposed to teach our digital literacy labs to other people in order to receive full credit, I was trying to think of a way to meet up with someone who would be genuinely interested in listening while I taught them.
In the spirit of the Meetup digital literacy lab I just did in my last post, what if we organized an informal meetup (i.e. not through the actual meetup site) to teach our digital literacy labs? Whoever is interested could stay after class for 15-20 minutes on Thursdays (since I'm pretty sure there aren't any classes in the auditorium until 11... we'd have to check on that. We may have to find a different venue in order to have more time) and teach and be taught. We could have sign-ups, and/or whoever wanted to go could go, depending on how much time we had. And we could open it up to all BYU students--invite friends and all people who want to increase their digital literacy. Someone who has done a lab on social networking or something could provide some ideas on how we could get the word out. Or we could just keep it to our class. It all depends on who is interested. What do you guys think??

2 comments:

  1. I like your idea, Ariel! I all about good, old fashioned, in-person social interaction. I think this is especially good because it would allow for questions and demonstrations, which will fix the flaws of internet. For example, despite reading Sarah's excellent post (http://sarahbethwills.blogspot.com/2010/09/screen-capture.html#more) I couldn't figure out how to do a screenshot. If I had met with her in person, I'm sure I wouldn't have had any difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also like the idea. I was talking with Kristina after class on Tuesday, and I mentioned I own the 2003 movie on Luther. We thought it would be fun to get a group of people together on a Saturday afternoon to watch it, but your idea sounds better and more feasible.

    ReplyDelete