A varied and sometimes erratic record of what I'm learning inside and outside of the classroom

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Books Worthy of Consideration

I must admit that one of my main concerns when faced with the task of finding potential books for my Digital Civilization mini book club assignment was to find something to read that would be genuinely interesting/engaging. So, from trawling through Goodreads, Amazon.com, Curriki, and my classmates' blogs, these are what I came up with:


The Renaissance: A Short History by Paul Johnson. This is, well, a short history of the Renaissance focusing on the economic, social, and technological developments that led up to it and examines key historical figures. Only 208 pages. Short.


The Printing Revolution in Early Modern Europe by Elizabeth L. Eisenstein. Since I'm interested in editing and publishing as a career, this caught my eye; it explores the way print culture became an agent of change in Europe. Click here to read a few pages on Amazon.


Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. (Which I seem to be having trouble uploading a picture for) Yes, I borrowed the idea for this book from one of my classmates (thank you!); it seems appropriate given the time of year and its "warning against the expansion of modern man in the Industrial Revolution, alluded to in the novel's subtitle, The Modern Prometheus." (Wikipedia).

No comments:

Post a Comment