A varied and sometimes erratic record of what I'm learning inside and outside of the classroom

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Peer Blog Review: The Epicness of Andrew DeWitt

Photo credit: Wakalani on Flickr
Okay, so this is a little bit late; I had to work right after school today, and I apologize for not being more on top of things. Anyway, for our midterm evaluation in Digital Civilization I had the pleasure of evaluating my classmate Andrew DeWitt's blog, entitled "Epic Doesn't Begin to Describe."

First of all, the artistic part of me can't help but comment that Andrew has a very clean, cohesive interface; all the factors of his page work together for a pleasing effect: the color scheme, the titles, the background, etc. I can tell he is using digital literacy tools, because he has incorporated them into his blog; along the side are widgets for Diigo, Twitter, and a Creative Commons liscense. His incorporation of all these things has made me want to be as cool--excuse me, EPIC--as he is and do some of the same. I'll work on that. :)

In reading through Andrew's posts, I see how these digital literacy tools have helped his learning; for example, he refers to his Diigo bookmarking in his post on Modernism. This particular post (and his posts in general) are well researched and well thought out, often referring to classmates' blogs and discussions in class. He often chooses a starting point from a blog, discussion, or article, fleshes it out with his own research, and explains why it is significant. He displays an excellent understanding of the historical content we have covered, and does a great job of implementing his own interests and personality. One of my favorite posts? The one entitled "Math, Computing, Logics, and Me." Entertaining and enlightening at the same time. :) His posts are also frequent and timely. Kudos to you, Andrew--the "timely" part is something I'm trying to improve. I also thought the book club project, a video of his group giving a review of The Count of Monte Cristo, was a unique idea, and implemented well the principles of consume, create, and connect as well as displaying digital literacy. (I enjoyed the natural flow of conversation in the video, by the way, and the implementation of historical and digital concepts.) In summary, Andrew does an excellent job of meeting all the learning outcomes, which are clearly evident in his blogging.

So that is my evaluation, but in order to get the full experience with Andrew's blog, you must visit it yourself; for, if epic doesn't begin to describe, then I certainly can't. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment