A varied and sometimes erratic record of what I'm learning inside and outside of the classroom

Friday, December 17, 2010

A Final Look Back on Digital Civilization

Wow--what does one say after a semester such as this? Looking back, I've learned so much from this class, both in terms of content and in terms of my classmates themselves, and I know that the principles I have learned here will shape my future as a student and as a citizen of the digital age. So, as a farewell to Digital Civilization, I present the semester in review in the three content areas we focused on in this class. These are the posts I'm most proud of that I feel met the learning outcomes the best.





Historical Content:
Romantic Confessions/Reflections
Mormonism and Tools for Seeking Truth
Navajo: The Unbroken Code of World War II

Computing Concepts:
FOR YOUR JOURNAL
Book Club Project: A Peek at Prezi
The Point We're At in Our Final Project and Web 2.0
So You Want To Make Your Own Mormon Message?

Self-Directed Learning:
Editing/Publishing in the Digital Economy
IDEA: Digital Literacy Meetup!
Digital Illiterates Anonymous

Going Beyond: Applying Principles of the Class to Other Areas (so this isn't really a category, but I'm making it one. :) )
Beyond Blackboard: Making A Personal Connection

It's been kinda funny reading back in my previous posts; there were times when I really felt like fuses were blowing in my brain due to the constant novelty I experienced in both content and method. It came gradually, but I can honestly say that because of this class I think about learning differently now than I did before. I find myself reflexively thinking in terms of consume, create, and connect, seeking ways to make my learning more authentic by connecting with other people via new media and other means. It seems like I'm pre-programmed now to scan for ways to use digital tools to accomplish my goals; I'm considering taking an Honors class called Proselyting 2.0, which is sharing the gospel on the Internet. How cool is that? I think it would be a great learning experience and would perhaps provide some good resume material for my goal of landing an internship with the Church magazines.The new skills and concepts I've learned in this class (blogging, what the term Web 2.0 means, etc.) as well as my final project have helped open new interests that I'm excited to pursue.

Like some of my classmates have already expressed (and like I said in my last post) I will miss this class. I admit that at first it was hard--changing paradigms/perspectives takes some getting used to, and I was more than a little intimidated after the first week of class (and perhaps even the first month of class!) However, I am so grateful that I had the guts to stick with it, because it has proven entirely worth the effort. Thank you so much to my professors and classmates who contributed to an overall wonderful and unique learning experience. I, like Jeff, have "fallen in love with blogging"--the format, style, and features of social interaction suit me, and while I probably won't post as often, I will certainly make an effort to continue sharing experiences and insights online. I want to remain a part of this larger discourse that is knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment